By: Courtney Newman
When we think of teaching science to our homeschooled students, older kids and high schooler
s usually come to mind. After all, some of the most well-known science topics are associated with the upper grades, such as biology and chemistry. However, there are plenty of basic science processes to begin covering with younger students. In fact, many topics are essential for establishing a foundational understanding.
Science is the study of everything around us. When we think about it in those terms, there’s a nearly unlimited range of topics at our fingertips. While it’s easy to focus on other subjects such as phonics and math with early learners, a basic study in early science learning is extremely beneficial for our kiddos! Not only is science involved in almost everything we do, but oftentimes, it’s easily observable — which makes for fun learning opportunities! With early science activities, kids will begin to learn how to understand and relate to the physical world around them.
5 Fun Science Activities for Young Learners
For this list, we specifically looked for experiments and activities to engage pre-K through 3rd graders! However, some of these simple science activities are intriguing enough to interest your older elementary students. With this list, your kids will be able to observe both visually and tactically the differences that occur when certain elements are combined. These are great for easily engaging with fun and surprising results. As a bonus, they could be an exciting way to wrap up your summer — or kick off your semester!
- Expanding Ivory Soap Experiment. This experiment is simple, but truly neat for kids! All it takes is a bar of ivory soap and a microwave. Because of the amount of air whipped into the soap, it expands when microwaved. Your kids will love this, and it’s not just cool, it’s science!
- Lava Lamp Experiment. What kid doesn’t love watching lava lamps? Now they can make their own! Due to the reaction of water, oil, and Alka Seltzer tablets, these ingredients form floating lava-like bubbles and blobs!
- Sensory Science Activity: Clean “Mud.” How can mud be clean? The secret here is that it’s not mud, but it’s still a lot of fun. This science activity is inspired by Frozen due to the use of white toilet paper, Ivory soap, and glitter! Be prepared for a mess, but also heaps of fun! This is a perfect option for easy science for kids at home!
- Simple Chemical Reaction Experiments. Can you have a list of science activities without some kind of chemical reaction? Here are three experiments with simple but very visible chemical reactions, which is great for encouraging young learners to take an interest in science!
- Leakproof Bag Science Experiment. How is it possible to poke pencils through a bag of water without the water leaking out? Science, that’s how! Your kids will be amazed that this works!
5 Science Resources for Engaged Learning
Now that you have a few activities and study topics in mind, you’re likely in need of homeschool science resources for your kids. Thankfully, science is always fun and hands-on for these early learners, so there are a bunch of learning resources available! Whether you are looking for websites with more information, or kits to purchase online, these are five of our favorites.
- Funology.com. This website offers several great experiments for fun and easy science for kids! It could easily serve as an inspirational resource for science activities and topics.
- Learn and Climb Science Kits. This kit is for kids ages five and older. It provides a few chemistry experiments, supplies, scientific information, and more!
- Microscope and Slides Kit for Kids. If your children already love science, or you want to encourage them to enjoy it, perhaps consider purchasing a microscope for kids! This kit comes with a child-friendly microscope, experiments, stains, petri dish, and more. It’s a great way to encourage their natural curiosity!
- Free Science Worksheets. We all love printable worksheets, and this website offers several free science worksheets for a variety of topics!
- Science for Kids. This website is a powerhouse of science information! Here, you can find experiments, topics, quizzes, games, facts, and more.