The Things You Learn When Homeschooling Boys
The following came from an anonymous Mother in Austin, Texas…
Things I’ve learned from my boys (honest and not kidding):
- A king size waterbed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq. ft. house 4 inches deep.
- If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with roller blades, they can ignite.
- A 3-year old Boy’s voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.
- If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong enough to rotate a 42 pound Boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman cape. It is strong enough, however, if tied to a paint can, to spread paint on all four walls of a 20 x 20 ft. room.
- You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using a ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up a few times before you get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.
- The glass in windows (even double-pane) doesn’t stop a baseball hit by a ceiling fan.
- When you hear the toilet flush and the words “uh oh”, it’s already too late.
- Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.
- A six-year old Boy can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year old man says they can only do it in the movies.
- Certain Legos will pass through the digestive tract of a 4-year old Boy.
- Play dough and microwave should not be used in the same sentence.
- Super glue is forever.
- No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool you still can’t walk on water.
- Pool filters do not like Jell-O.
- VCR’s do not eject “PB &J” sandwiches even though TV commercials show they do.
- Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.
- Marbles in gas tanks make lots of noise when driving.
- You probably DO NOT want to know what that odor is.
- Always look in the oven before you turn it on; plastic toys do not like ovens.
- The fire department in Austin, TX has a 5-minute response time.
- The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy.
- It will, however, make cats dizzy.
- Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy.
- 80% of Men who read this will try mixing the Clorox and brake fluid.
Those who pass this on to almost all of their friends, with or without boys do it because:
a) For those with no children – this is totally hysterical!
b) For those who already have children past this age, this is hilarious.
c) For those who have children this age, this is not funny.
d) For those who have children nearing this age, this is a warning.
e) For those who have not yet had children, this is birth control.
by Olga Silverstein and Beth Rashbaum
Drawing on clinical case histories and images of men from popular and classic films and fiction, Silverstein, a therapist at the Ackerman Institute for Family Therapy in New York City, and freelance writer Rashbaum convincingly show how this forced gender split results in unhappy, unfulfilled men and perpetuates a patriarchal system that shortchanges men and women alike. Mothers of male offspring, stress the authors, can break through these emotional barriers, or avoid building them, by having the courage to discard cultural conventions of how to raise sons and instead become “agents of their own values.”
The art of homeschooling boys
Boys are born with more testosterone, which shapes the development of the brain. Most boys are active — they would rather be jumping, climbing or running. Boys are naturally curious, and they are constantly exploring and investigating the world around them. All of these wonderful characteristics that make up boys can be used to our advantage in the homeschool environment.
All kidding aside, this is a group of mostly homeschool Moms who are devoted to our sons; who are on a constant search for resources wisdom for raising young men with character, integrity — preparing them for life.
Must Haves for Homeschooling Boys
Even before homeschooling our sons, I always loved teaching boys at school. I loved their curiosity and warrior hearts. We would do some lessons under a tree outside and they would have fun digging in the dirt while listening. As long as they were getting it, I didn’t mind.
Best Selling Homeschool Books Q3 2017
Raising Real Men
“How do I get my son to read???” is a common question when we speak about homeschooling boys. Here’s what we’ve done: Be patient when you are teaching them to read. Earlier is not better when it comes to boys.