By: Andrea Dillon
Clovers, leprechauns, rainbows, and pots of gold. These are all things we think of when we think of St. Patrick’s Day on March 17th. Besides remembering to wear green, what are some other St. Patrick’s Day ideas to help you celebrate? We have gathered these FREE St. Patrick’s Day children’s activities to help you get the most of your homeschooling on St. Patrick’s.
St. Patrick’s Day Art and Crafts
Holidays are my go-to time to add in more art and crafts! We love to find ways to decorate and make lasting memories of the day. Get some color in your homeschool day with these St. Patrick’s day crafts.
- Blarney Stone – Kiss your own blarney stone! Grab a rock and add some paint in this activity to make your own blarney stone.
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Shamrocks – Play with colors in this St. Patrick’s craft for kids. Use tissue paper and water to design and decorate your shamrock.
- Draw a Leprechaun – Practice drawing skills with this step by step instructional on how to draw a leprechaun.
- Mickey Mouse St. Patrick’s Day Hidden Picture Coloring Page – Color the page, find the hidden St. Patrick’s Day items, and count the shamrocks on this fun Mickey Mouse coloring page.
- Melted Crayon Canvas – Gather up some crayons and your hairdryer (heat gun) and make your own rainbow with this fun activity. Then hang your colorful creation on the wall!
- Shamrock Coloring Page Free Printable – Turn on some Irish music or an audiobook and have the kids express their creative side with this free shamrock printable.
- Simple 3D Rainbow Paper Craft – Grab some construction paper, glue, and cotton balls to create your own rainbow with this activity.
St. Patrick’s Day History for Kids
Why do we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? What is the big deal about wearing green? Where do the leprechauns come into it all? These are all the questions that my homeschoolers had when we first started. Find the answer to these and more with the St. Patrick’s Day history resources below.
- Legend of the Leprechaun – What are leprechauns? Find out about the origins of Leprechauns with this information from CBC Kids. Assign your kids the task of answering, why do leprechauns wear green?St. Patrick’s Day History – Explore the history of St. Patrick’s Day, Saint Patrick, myths, and traditions with History.com. You could ask your older children to read the three articles and memorize one St. Patrick’s fun fact to share with the family.
- St. Patrick’s Day Traditions – Learn about St. Patrick’s Day traditions with this free printable from Education.com. (You may need to create a free account to print.) The reading exercise and word search help to make this a fun and interactive lesson.
St. Patrick’s Day Language Arts
Language arts can be a perfect way to sneak in some St. Patrick’s day children’s activities. Find a pot of gold with one of the fun language art activities below.
- 20 Books about Saint Patrick’s Day – A good book is a great way to celebrate any day. Homeschool Literature has a list of 20 books for you to use in your St.Patrick’s Day fun!
- Irish Gold – Match proverb to their meanings with this freebie. (Register to print for free ten times a month).
- St. Patrick’s Day Joke Teller – Practice paper folding and fine motor skills with this fun freebie. Create the joke teller then work on reading skills while you share some laughs with the St. Patrick’s Day themed jokes.
- St. Patrick’s Day NO Prep Freebie! – This freebie is packed full of language art fun! Enjoy St. Patrick’s Day writing activities, printables, and more.
- St. Patrick’s Day Sight Word Bingo – Work on word recognition with this print and go bingo freebie.
- St. Patrick’s Day Worksheets – Practice letter and sight words with these free coloring worksheets for early learners.
- St. Patrick’s Day Writing Activity – Encourage descriptive writing with this free writing prompt printable.
St. Patrick’s Day Math Activities
I am always looking for ways to make math fun, so these St. Patrick’s Day math worksheets and activities are a wonderful way to brighten up math time.
- Lucky Numbers: A St. Patrick’s Day Math Game – Practice addition and subtraction facts with this lucky numbers St. Patrick’s Day game.
- St. Patrick’s Day Hundreds Chart – Practice the hundreds chart while creating St. Patrick’s Day art with these free printables.
- Make 10 St. Patrick’s Day Math Worksheets – Early learners can work on making ten with these St. Patrick’s Day themed freebie!
- St. Patrick’s Day Themed Worksheets – Free math printables for first to fifth grade. These St. Patrick’s Day math worksheets cover addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and word problems.
St. Patrick’s Day STEAM/Science
Science and St. Patrick’s Day fun? Yes! Try these STEAM St. Patrick’s Day children’s activities to jump start your homeschooler’s understanding of the world around them.
- Roy G. Biv – Learn the order of the color spectrum with this fun song! Warning: This song will get stuck in your head, and your child (or you) may start to sing it throughout the day randomly.
- Shamrock Slime – Have you had enough of this chemical reaction crazy yet? If not, break out the glue and grab some glitter for some St. Patrick’s shamrock slime!
- St. Patrick’s Day Sink Float – Water play and St. Patrick’s Day collide in this fun activity. Make predictions on how much gold your pot can hold and then experiment to see!
- St. Patrick’s Day STEM activities – STEM ideas galore! Get your children inspired by these St. Patrick Day challenges! Make a Pot-o-gold pully to explore simple machines, create fun sounds with rainbow sound science, test aspects of physics with balloon rockets, and more!
- St. Patrick’s Day STEM / STEAM Activity – Use science to create a beautiful crystal rainbow to help you find your pot of gold!
St. Patrick’s Day Games for Kids
Get your homeschoolers thinking critically with some games! Work as a team or compete against each other for even more fun!
- Clever St. Patrick’s Day Games – Leprechaun shoe sorting, following the rainbow, and gold rush are all games that you can play with things around your house.
- Green Scavenger Hunt -Who can find them all first? Get out and enjoy St. Patrick’s day with this fun scavenger hunt idea. This activity would be fun for home or on the go!
- Shamrock Shake-Up – Work on critical thinking skills with this shamrock logic puzzle. (Register to print for free ten times a month).
- St. Patrick’s Day Games and More – Get the giggles going while you play Leprechaun, Leprechaun, where’s your shamrock.
Do you need some more St. Patrick’s Day resources? Try some of these St. Patrick’s Day children’s activities too!