*This post contains affiliate links. Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.
Frankenstein Friday is a national day observed the last Friday in October to recognize Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
Frankenstein is one of the most well-known monsters in the world. Just the word Frankenstein brings up the picture of a tall, green-skinned, black-haired, forehead scarred, bolted neck monster and all that is thanks to the author and famous homeschooler Mary Shelley!
- Frankenstein is actually the name of the doctor in Mary Shelley’s story. Dr. Frankenstein is the mad scientist that creates a famous monster who doesn’t have an official name in the book.
- This monstrous tale was first published in 1818 and has survived over 200 years as a staple in horror and science fiction.
- Mary wrote Frankenstein at only 18 years old and it was originally for a ghost story contest.
- Shelley’s book has inspired over 100 different movies including the classic Frankenstein with Boris Karloff.
- The original Frankenstein story has influenced multiple books, comic books, songs, and more!
So how do you go about celebrating this monstrous day? Here are some ideas!
Simple Frank Ideas
- Read the original Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for free and use this unit study!
- Watch the 1931 Frankenstein.
- Look for Frankenstein references in your favorite Halloween books and movies!
These are some of our favorites:
- Get a crash course lesson on Frankenstein from author John Green.
- Get the younger kids involved with this child-friendly retelling of Frankenstein.
Experiment with some Frankenstein Crafts and Activities
- We can’t get enough slim in my house so making Frankenstein Phlegm was a no brainer!
- Game time! Build a monster with this free printable spin and build game.
- Learn about chemistry with Frankenstein-inspired “Spark of Life” science project and more!
- These origami paper toys have provided hours of fun for my kid and are super easy to make!
- Get the art flowing with this unique Picasso Frankenstein Monsters! I love the creativity with these!
Build your own Tale of Frankenstein
It’s alive, alive! Give your homeschooler’s brain a spark of creative writing with one of these writing prompts!
- Become Dr. Frankenstein! Write about creating your own monster.
- You’ve just been brought to life! You are the monster now, what are you going to do?
- It is a normal day when all of a sudden someone knocks on your door. You open the door and it is a large looking creature. He looks all pieced together. What happens next?
- Frankenstein has lost his monster. Where did the monster go and how can you help Dr. Frankensten get it back?
- Frankenstein’s monster is lonely and Dr. Frankenstein wants to make it a friend. What kind of friend will he make?
That’s it! Now you are ready to go have a day fun full of monster madness!
Don’t miss any of our upcoming content, deals, and soon holiday gift ideas! Sign up for our newsletter below!