Summer is a time when we are all ready for a break. The school year has wrapped up, the state forms have been turned in, and we are ready to relax! However, experts claim that these long breaks in learning are bad for children and the inevitable summer slide can set them back weeks and even months of learning!
Summer Learning Loss Statistics
- Children starting around first grade show signs of summer slide.
- Many students can lose close to 2 months or more of reading and math skills!
- Children in summer also show signs of fitness loss!
- Oxford Learning states that on average, it takes six weeks to relearn the knowledge lost from summer break.
How To Stop the Summer Slide
So how do we stop this from happening when we are all desperate for a break?
Well, the good news is that experts also claim that it only takes about 3 hours a week to prevent learning loss. This doesn’t mean you have to drag out the textbooks or boot up the computer. Summer learning can be fun and fresh. The key is to be creative, think outside the box, and let the children’s interests lead the way.
Avoid reading slide with these ideas:
- Frequent library visits! Many libraries have summer programs to help encourage reading during the summer.
- Create a family reading challenge! Maybe something like the 20 for 20 Family Reading Challenge.
- Read, read, read! Read books to your children and enjoy audiobooks together. Try these 3 Dozen Books for Fun in the Sun!
Avoid math slide with these ideas :
- Board games that involve keeping track of points or using dice. Here are Six Easy Math Games using Dice.
- Budgeting for summer activities together.
- DIY projects like sewing or building can be great ways to use budgeting and measuring skills.
Encourage physical activity with these ideas:
- Have some water fun with swimming or try your hand at boating!
- Try a new sport!
Summer brain drain is very real according to the experts, but it doesn’t have to be scary. Find new ways to make summer learning fun and get moving for a few hours every week. But, most of all enjoy the summer!