The school year is wrapping up, and I am sure many of you have already finished and are ready for summer. There is always a weird moment where I wonder what to do for summer. I know summer learning is crucial, so I hate not to plan anything. However, I want my kids to get summer experiences that I remember enjoying when I was younger. One way that I have managed to balance my wants and expectations of a summer of fun is to use summer for FUNSCHOOL! I have learned that as long as I shake things up, the kids are happy. Plus, I can get my planning in with educational but fun activities!
Do you want to try some funschool? Give some of these ideas a try.
It is no secret that my family is a technology-loving family. We use online homeschooling during the regular school months. So for the summer, we change it up and find other online resources.
- We play fun online lectures on kid picked topics. These are great while we are eating meals or enjoying board games on rainy days.. Some of our favorites have been about baby dinosaurs, the fear of rejection, and John Green: The nerd’s guide to learning everything online.
- After a fun day in the pool or at the park, we relax with some with online games. My kids already are avid gamers, so I have learned that they are learning a lot while playing Minecraft and even Fortnite. Those aren’t the only games they play though. I bookmark plenty of online educational games that help them practice different concepts all while they are having fun!
- During the summer, we tend to spend more time in the car traveling to see family, heading to new adventures, and going to summer programs. All that time in the car gives us time to keep the fun learning going! We love podcasts and learn so much history and science from our favorite shows. We also use fun learning apps and reading apps to pass the time on the road.
While we love technology, getting out and having fun is our primary mission for the summer months.
- If the kids have friends coming over, we plan summer camp days! Some of the most popular activities all the kids enjoy are slime making, bubble creating, and insect observations.
- If we are on our own, I pull in more individualized educational activities. Some of our favorites are moving math activities, outside art, and engineering projects.
Even with all the online and outside options, I always try to find something new to add to our summer fun.
- I love it when I come across fun local summer events for my kids to join.
- We like online events too! Like the Online Homeschool STEM Fair! The summer is the perfect time for the kids to brainstorm their projects and start preparing!
- Let the kids try their hand at DIY! Earn badges for their learning and hone new skills. New ideas are always being added, so it never gets dull.
Hopefully, some of these will help you rock your summer of FUNSCHOOL. I will always wonder if I am doing enough or too much during the summer. At least with help from technology, some nature, and a few new ideas, I can be sure that I have tried.