Grades Covered: K-3
Religious Affiliation: None
Complete Curriculum: Yes (Reading)
Record Keeping: Yes
Reading Kingdom Information
Reading Kingdom is a website based program to help children learn to read and help adults teaching children to read. This program is designed for children 4-10 years old and up to a third-grade level.
The Reading Kingdom program is based on a patented system developed by a world-renowned expert on reading that has helped children to learn to read for over forty years. This program specializes in being able to customize itself to your child. Thousands of children, parents, and educators testify to the success of the program.
Most reading programs teach using the phonics method, the whole language method, or a combination of those two methods together. The Reading Kingdom program, however, uses a six skills method or “Phonics Plus” decoding system that teaches sequencing, sounds, writing, meaning, grammar, and comprehension.
In addition to their Reading Kingdom program, they also offer some smaller companion programs.
- Story Smarts Online Reading Comprehension Program – offers 30 interesting, online stories and lessons that develop reading comprehension.
- Reading Kingdom’s Story Books – the stories from the Reading Kingdom program that your children can keep. It contains 30 books.
- Reading Kingdom Workbooks – provides extra practice exercises to use in conjunction with the Reading Kingdom program. It contains 30 workbooks.
- Reading Kingdom Stage 2 for Reading and Writing – a reading and writing program for students in grades 3 to 5. This program starts where the Reading Kingdom online program leaves off. It contains 12 manuals and 12 books.
- Story Smarts Printed Reading Comprehension Program – the printed stories from the Story Smarts program. It contains 30 books.
- Letter Land by Hand for Handwriting – handwriting techniques to help your student learn to handwrite.
- Reading Kingdom Memory Master Program – helps your students to master visual memory skills that will be essential for reading and writing.
- Reading Kingdom Seeing Sequences Program – gives your students the practice on the visual left to right tracking to help with their reading success.
Reading Kingdom Assessment
- The Reading Kingdom program is self-explanatory, making it easy for children to work on their lessons with minimal adult input. Children are able to navigate to their lesson session and continue where they let off with ease.
- The length of each session isn’t too daunting. Most sessions take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to complete making it less likely for students to become distracted and lose interest.
- Each lesson has fun animated graphics to keep the student interested. My children loved the little owl named Lingo that was consistent throughout the lessons.
- You have the ability to pause the lesson for a maximum time of 12 minutes and can also exit out at any time if needed.
- Repetition is key in the Reading Kingdom program. This could be good if your children need that of reinforcement but might become dull for those that advance faster than the program assesses.
- Another perk for this program was audio consistency. We have used many programs that have rough audio that varies in quality from lesson to lesson. Reading Kingdom offers audio is clear and consistent throughout which makes it easy to follow for students.
- This program would also be beneficial for struggling readers that might be older than 10 but need extra help with reading.
- The Reading Kingdom program also offers reporting and tracking to help you keep up with your child’s progress and alert you of problems that your student might have. This is perfect for families that are homeschooling multiples and may be helping more than one child at once. The ability to quickly glance at the report to see the progress being made is vital.
- Reading Kingdom offers additional education activities that fall in the STEAM category on their site to help you with your children’s education.
When you sign up for the Reading Kingdom, you receive a free 30-day trial unless you choose an immediate billing option.
- The price of the first student is $19.99 per month. If you pay at the time of signup (skipping the trial option), the cost is only $14.99 per month.
- Each additional student after the first is $9.99 per month. If you pay at the time of signup for an additional student (skipping the trial option), the cost is only $7.49 per month.
- The price of the first student is $199.99 per year. If you pay at the time of signup (skipping the trial option), the cost is only $149.99 per year.
- Each additional student after the first is $99.99 per year. If you pay at the time of signup for an additional student (skipping the trial option), it is only $74.99/year.
Other important things to note:
- You may cancel any of your individual monthly subscriptions at any time.
- If you are using the 30-day trial and you cancel before the end of 30 days you will not be charged.
- Monthly subscriptions renew each month.
- Annual subscription payments are one-time and do not renew.
- Reading Kingdom also has a scholarship program that you can apply for if you can not afford the program prices.
Additional Program Pricing
- Story Smarts Online Reading Comprehension Program – $49.99
- Reading Kingdom’s Story Books – starting at $14.99
- Reading Kingdom Workbooks – starting at $9.99
- Reading Kingdom Stage 2 for Reading and Writing – starting at $14.99
- Story Smarts Printed Reading Comprehension Program – $49.99
- Letter Land by Hand for Handwriting – $19.99
- Reading Kingdom Memory Master Program – $19.99
- Reading Kingdom Seeing Sequences Program – $9.99
Top 5 Things We Like about Reading Kingdom
- The engaging animations on the lessons.
- The price point, discount for multiple children, and flexibility of canceling.
- The ease of use and the capability of low parent involvement.
- The hands-off customization of lessons as the child moves along in the program.
- The reporting emails that alert you of any attention your child needs.
Reading Kingdom is part of our
Written in paid partnership with Reading Kingdom. All opinions are our own.