What Homeschoolers Want From Local Websites.
By Ann Zeise
Who should read this?
- Local & Regional Support Group Webmasters;
- Library site developers making homeschool resource pages;
- Local, Community or City site developers making homeschool support pages;
- Local parenting resources e-zine publishers.
After the usual homeschooling information, what homeschoolers would really like to see are pages with links to your unique regional resources for families. If you don’t know much about homeschooling, link to this site, your state page, and then provide local resources. May I suggest these links could include but not necessarily be limited to:
- Art resources (from supplies to lessons)
- Banks with free children’s accounts
- Bookstores (including used books)
- Businesses and industries that give tours (Contact information)
- Children’s theater and musical groups
- Drivers ed resources & teen driving regulations
- Educator Discount retailers who include homeschool teachers
- Genealogy collections available locally
- Historic sites, reenactments, societies
- Kid-friendly gyms, athletic clubs, and community athletic teams
- Libraries (and how to access online)
- Music schools, piano teachers
- Museums (especially kid-friendly, hands-on places. Info about classes.)
- Natural areas, especially those that have nature guides
- Publications that list family activities
- Science supply outlets (low priced) and classes
- Trails (within the city or out; bike paths)
- Tutoring and mentoring services (especially math and reading)
- TV stations with community college classes or similar programming
- Volunteer opportunities for young people
- Youth organizations (scouts, 4-H, Campfire, etc.)
I cannot hope to be an “expert” on such a wealth of materials that are already in your grasp. Please! Let us partner in what we each can do best. Link to the pages on my site that give your audience what they need. Email me and let me know you have begun a regional resource section on your site, and I’ll most likely link it in my “Regional and Worldwide” resources page most relevant to your area.
Best Selling Homeschool Books Q1 2018
I’m also open to online “partnering” arrangements for mutual benefit and promotion, without annoying banners or advertisements. Consider what your time is worth. If you’d rather concentrate on your local content and leave the homeschooling content to me, drop me a line.
Consider joining the Home School Web Masters Email list to glean not only helpful technical information, but to find partners for your content.